Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I have been asked for this recipe more times than I can say. It's hearty and delicious.
Make and share this Borscht recipe from Food.com.
- Brown bacon well but not crisp.
- Add onions, potatoes, carrots and saute for 5 minutes.
- Fill dutch oven 1 1/2 inches from the top with water.
- Add salt, pepper and shredded beets.
- Cook 20 minutes on medium heat.
- Add vinegar and cook until vegetables are tender.
- About 30 to 45 minutes.
- This is best if refrigerated over night, then served.
Very different from my family borscht recipe, which is mainly just beets, but totally wonderful. I love the addition of the bacon, carrots, and potatos, they really round out the flavour nicely. Thanks for sharing!
Thats some good soup! I tossed in a couple chicken bullion cubes, and next time would use maybe half the bacon.