Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded (or 2 cups packaged cole slaw mix)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (15 ounce) can beets, julienned and undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pinch rosemary
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Saute cabbage, onion and celery in butter until soft in large saucepan.
- Add tomato sauce, beets with juice, herbs, sugar and enough water to cover ingredients.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat, simmer 25-30 minutes.
- Add lemon juice a few minutes before serving.
- Serve with chopped boiled eggs, sour cream and pumpernickel bread.
This looks good. I like it vegetarian.
I gave this recipe 3 stars. This was the first time I ever had Borscht or heared of it. I got to try this in my Culinary class. I wasn't crazy over this mainly because of the cabbage. It was different but just not something I liked. Thanks for posting! Christine (internetnut)
needs more butter and whole cream.