Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 2 red onions, cut into rings widthwise
- 4 red peppers
- 4 green peppers
- 8 roma tomatoes
- 2 poblano peppers
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups broth
- 1 cup lime juice
- 12 ounces dark beer
- 6 ounces of your favorite tequila
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro, firmly packed
- Heat up your grill to high.
- Brush the onions with olive oil and salt and char them on the grill.
- Do the same with all the peppers and tomatoes (do not oil or salt) placing them in a covered container when blackened on the outside.
- By placing all the components in a covered container they will steam together and render a charred veggie stock in the bottom of the container.
- When they have sat for 1/2 hour remove and let cool.
- Remove the stems from the peppers and the cores from the tomatoes then roughly chop the elements in a food processor.
- In a saucepan, bring your chicken stock to a simmer then add the veggie puree and half the cilantro.
- While stirring, reduce the mixture to the original consistency of the puree.
- Add the dark beer and lime juice and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the tequila and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Finish with the rest of the cilantro and salt to taste.
This is a fabulous sauce - perfect with tamales, huevos rancheros, chips, I might even try it with enchiladas. Thanks.