Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I have taken ingredients from about 3 different Borracho Bean recipes and made my very own recipe for Borracho Beans. My DH said they were the best he had ever eaten. (This is quite a statement, as he is usually my most critical food fan.)
- 1 lb dried pinto bean
- 3 quarts water
- 12 ounces dark beer (Mexican)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 3 -6 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 lb bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces and fried crispy
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- Sort through the beans, looking for small rocks and debris. Place in large bowl and rinse several times. Remove beans by hand into a clean bowl of water. (Do not pour beans out of the rinse bowl, as there may be sand and debris at the bottom of rinse bowl.) Fill the bowl with the newly rinsed beans with water and soak beans overnight.
- Drain off soaking water. In a large soup pot, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil and add beans and dark beer. Add garlic, Kosher salt, onion powder and chili powder to beans and beer. Lower the heat to simmer, cover pan and cook about 2 hours, or until beans are tender. When the beans are light brown and soft, add the cumin, Mexican oregano and jalapeno peppers.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, fry bacon pieces and onions until bacon is crisp. Add to beans.
- Last, but not least, add the cilantro and fresh roma romatoes. Simmer for another hour.
Omg! My dad has been making this dish since before I was born, so at least 27 years. He won't give me his recipe, and I think it's to keep me coming home on Sundays. I've tried several different recipes and this one, by far, is the BEST. I've cooked it twice in one month. On the last occasion I cooked a pot for my parents and my dad just couldn't believe how much it tasted like his own. Two thumbs up. 5 stars. 10 Spoons. Thinking about starting a pot right now.
Great recipe! Followed exactly as explained and was filled with flavor! Thank you :)