Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is way beans are made in South Texas!! Serve with any mexican dish and of course homemade tortillas!!
- Cook bacon, drain on paper towels and chop when cooled. (I usually saute some onion in the bacon grease and put everything into the pot of beans)
- Cook beans according to instructions on package.
- After 1 and 1/2 hours of cooking beans, add bacon, bean seasonings, cilantro, tomatoes and beer.
- Cover and continue to cook for an additional 30 minutes or until beans are tender.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate overnight.
- You can add fresh jalapeno at the same time you add the tomatoes for an extra kick!
- *I use Texas Spice Company Bean Seasoning and it is sold only at all H*E*B Grocery Stores.
This is a very good recipe. It would be helpful to know what a pound of dry pinto beans is as I have a 10 pound bag (not typical, I know). I am fortunate to live in Texas and so bean seasoning is available. I used Fiesta Brand Pinto Bean Seasoning. If you don't have bean seasoning available, the ingredients of that seasoning mix are garlic, onion, chili pepper, "spices" and salt. The "spices" taste like Cummin. I added a 1/4 t. of salt to this recipe. I added a couple of jalapeno or serrano peppers with the seeds into the recipe. I also used Rotel or the store brand of diced tomatoes and chili peppers. Let the heat you like determine which version. Twelve ounces of beer is a little too much if you only use 3 cups of dry beans. I added a cup of beans the second time I prepared this recipe.I did not know what 1 lb was since I have a 10 lb bag of pinto beans. I used one cup of Corona beer. It tastes better with age. By Day 4, adding a sprinkling of cheese, I was in Heaven. My son felt it was thin. He expects animal protein to be added to everything. I loved it as is. Hope this helps.
Well, the one critical poster posted on other borracho bean pages too. Either they made multiple recipes for the same group on the same day or they are just badly rating all borracho bean recipes. If you do like Borracho Beans then ignore the negative rating.
I didn't like this at all and neither did the group I cooked it for. Would've been so much better without the beer. Had much too strong of a beer flavor, so in less you asolutely love beer, you might want to try another recipe.