Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This originally came from a friend of mine, and I tweaked it just a little. Make sure you use a good full-bodied beer in this, not a light beer. I used Michelob Ultra Amber, and the smell while it was cooking was wonderful. The Goya ham seasoning is a dry mix, picture of a pig on the box, usually near the soups. I guessed on the size of the packet because it was required to submit - the box is 1.41 oz and it contains 6 or 8 packets. Prep/cook time does not include soaking beans overnight.
- 1 (16 ounce) bag dry pinto beans, soaked in water overnight
- 1 (32 ounce) carton chicken broth
- 12 ounces beer (regular, not light, dark or amber is better)
- 1⁄2 lb thick sliced pepper bacon, chopped and cooked (I use slightly more)
- 5 fresh garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 4 -5 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 (1/4 ounce) packet Goya ham seasoning
- Soak beans overnight in water, drain when ready to cook.
- In large pot, add beans, chicken broth, beer, cooked chopped bacon, and enough water to cover the beans by about an inch.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 2-3 hours.
- Once beans start to get soft, add garlic, onion, jalapenos, chili powder, cumin, 1 tbs coarse black pepper, and salt.
- Simmer another 30 minutes or so.
- Add the packet of ham seasoning, tomatoes, and cilantro; taste and add more coarse ground black pepper and salt to taste.
- Simmer another 30 minutes.
Outstanding!!!!! I use Guinness beer and 1 LB of bacon. I slow cook all the ingredients (except the cilantro) in a crock pot without pre-soaking beans for around 8 hours. I now serve this everytime with my Acacia smoked brisket....all friends leave fat and happy!!! Thanks again for this recipe.
This was a big hit at a party the other night got 5 stars from everyone. I doubled the recipe and glad I did there was nothing left for anyone to take home. Have passed the recipe on to others already.
Wonderful!!!<br/><br/>I followed to your recipe, but used Texas Originals borracho beans mix.<br/>Came out absolutely perfect and I was able to upload and share a photo.<br/>Thanks for sharing this recipe!!!