1/1 Photo of Borracho Beans
3 hrs 30 mins
This originally came from a friend of mine, and I tweaked it just a little. Make sure you use a good full-bodied beer in this, not a light beer. I used Michelob Ultra Amber, and the smell while it was cooking was wonderful. The Goya ham seasoning is a dry mix, picture of a pig on the box, usually near the soups. I guessed on the size of the packet because it was required to submit - the box is 1.41 oz and it contains 6 or 8 packets. Prep/cook time does not include soaking beans overnight.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 ounce) bag dry pinto beans, soaked in water overnight
- 1 (32 ounce) carton chicken broth
- 12 ounces beer (regular, not light, dark or amber is better)
- 1/2 lb thick sliced pepper bacon, chopped and cooked (I use slightly more)
- 5 fresh garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 4 -5 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 (1/4 ounce) packet Goya ham seasoning
- 1Soak beans overnight in water, drain when ready to cook.
- 2In large pot, add beans, chicken broth, beer, cooked chopped bacon, and enough water to cover the beans by about an inch.
- 3Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 2-3 hours.
- 4Once beans start to get soft, add garlic, onion, jalapenos, chili powder, cumin, 1 tbs coarse black pepper, and salt.
- 5Simmer another 30 minutes or so.
- 6Add the packet of ham seasoning, tomatoes, and cilantro; taste and add more coarse ground black pepper and salt to taste.
- 7Simmer another 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Borracho Beans
Serving Size: 1 (249 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 226.3
- Calories from Fat 128
- Total Fat 14.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 19.2 mg
- Sodium 1010.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 9.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Goya ham seasoning