Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
From "Tunisia: Mediterranean Cuisine" published by Konemann. A delicious casserole-type dish. You can substitute the lamb with another meat of your choice.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs lamb shoulder
- 6 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons ground paprika
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 7 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons tomato paste
- 12 ounces garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups bulgur wheat
- 1⁄4 cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 4 green chilies, diced
- Cut the lamb into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Place into large pot. Add olive oil and seasonings. Mix until spices are well distributed.
- Add about 3 cups water, onion slices, tomato paste, and garbanzo beans. Bring to a boil.
- When water begins to boil, add bulgur wheat, stir, cover, and cook 35 minutes. Check toward the end and add water if necessary.
- If using frozen peas, add to pot and continue cooking until peas are defrosted.
- If using fresh peas, add and remove from heat.
- Add diced chiles.
- Transfer to an oven-safe casserole dish and place under the broiler for 10 minutes.
- Serve warm. This can be a meal in itself, or you can serve with some vegetables.