1/2 Photos of Borekitas De Berengena
Susiecat too's Note:
Eggplant and Cheese pies. Turkish, traditionally made in the Jewish community in and around Istanbul. Slightly adapted from "The Book of Jewish Food" by Claudia Roden. The dough is initially cut into 2 pieces to make it more manageable than rolling out the whole thing. From each half, roll thin and cut out the smaller rounds, gather your scraps and roll again. The small filling is perfect for a 10-cm (4-inch) round folded in half. If you want to use the two halves to make a large (9-inch) double crusted pie, then add the extra egg as noted in the last step.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 egg yolk, mixed with 1 tsp water, for glazing
- 3 tablespoons grated kashkaval (optional) or 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1Beat the oil with the water and salt and add just enough flour to make a soft malleable, oily dough.
- 2Prick eggplants with a fork and turn under the broiler until they are soft inside.
- 3Put into a colander and peel eggplants. Smash the flesh of the eggplant in the colander to release juices, press to drain them.
- 4In a bowl, mix eggplant pulp with feta cheese and kashkaval, mix well.
- 5Salt and pepper as desired.
- 6Divide pastry into 2 balls, roll each one out thin and cut into 10-cm (4 inch) rounds. You will not need flour for rolling -- the dough does not stick.
- 7Top each round with 1 heaping tablespoon of filling, fold round over and crimp edges.
- 8Place pies on a baking sheet, brush with egg glaze mixture. Sprinkle with grated cheese if desired.
- 9Bake 350F for 35 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 10If desired, can make one large pie by rolling out 2 large crusts from dough. If doing so, add 2 beaten eggs to the filling.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Borekitas De Berengena
Serving Size: 1 (101 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 234.9
- Calories from Fat 127
- Total Fat 14.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 29.5 mg
- Sodium 252.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 4.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: