1/1 Photo of Borek (Turkish Meat Rolls)
These are a delicious, turkish version of the spring rolls. Great as main dish served with salad. I got this recipe from someone who brought time to a potluck. I submitted the original recipe, the stuff in brackets is what I had on had when I made them. It’s hard to find sheeps cheese around here unless you go to a specialty food store.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Brown meat in pan at medium-hi heat.
- 2Drain and transfer browned meat to a medium bowl to cool.
- 3When the meat has cooled crumble cheese and add to the meat.
- 4Add the parsley, garlic thyme and pepper and mix well.
- 5Let this sit for 30 minutes.
- 6In a small bowl beat the egg with water to make an egg wash.
- 7Working quickly now, so the phyllo does not dry out.
- 8Take 1 sheet phyllo dough brush or spray with olive oil, place another sheet on top and brush or spray again.
- 9Cut the two sheets into six rectangles.
- 10Take a good tablespoon of meat mix and place it about an 1 ½” to 2 inches up from one of the corners of the rectangle.
- 11Lift the corner of the pastry and fold over the meat mixture, then lift and fold the corner on the right and then left to make and envelope about 3- 4 inches wide, then roll up to top.
- 12Repeat for the next five pieces.
- 13Brush with egg wash.
- 14Heat some of the olive oil in a heavy pan a fry the meat rolls, turning to brown on all sides, lightly flatten them with spatula while frying.
- 15Repeat the dough and rolling with the rest of the dough sheets.
- 16These are also very nice cold.
- 17I sometimes use a Tzatziki sauce for dip or mint sauce if using lamb.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Borek (Turkish Meat Rolls)
Serving Size: 1 (161 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 493.7
- Calories from Fat 332
- Total Fat 36.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 114.9 mg
- Sodium 253.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 18.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
sheep's milk cheese