This recipe is from a cookbooklet I bought on the Washington coast, "CRANBERRY HARVEST FESTIVAL 2002 COOKBOOK", put out by the Cranberry Coast Chamber of Commerce to raise money to stage the annual festival.
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup cranberries (fresh or frozen-no need to thaw)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup cranberry sauce (jellied)
- 2 tablespoons cranberry juice (see note)
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- NOTE: to make cranberry juice for icing (if you don't have bottle juice on hand) simmer cranberries for brownies a few minutes in 1/8 cup water. Drain and reserve liquid and use berries in brownies.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Coat a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Melt 1 cup butter in large saucepan. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 cup cocoa powder. Add 2 cups sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, and 1 teaspoons almond extract; stir until well blended.
- Stir chocolate mixture into flour mixture. Add cranberries and nuts and mix just until blended.
- Pour batter into baking pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes.
- Cool completely and frost.
- FROSTING: Melt 3 tbls. butter in small saucepan. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/3 cup cocoa powder, 1/4 teaspoons almond extract, cranberry sauce and juice; stir well.
- Add confectioners' sugar; mix until well blended.