Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This haute cuisine sauce makes everyday steaks or roasts into something a little more elegant. Serve atop grilled steaks, hamburger steaks, roasted beef or venison
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced (optional)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced fresh
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1⁄3 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme, chopped fresh, to taste
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Stir in the garlic and shallot, and cook until the shallot has softened and turned translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter, then stir in the mushrooms once the butter has melted.
- Cook and stir the mushrooms until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the beef broth, wine, and Worcestershire sauce; season with the bay leaf and thyme, and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Once simmering, season to taste with salt and pepper, reduce the heat to medium-low, and continue to cook, uncovered until the sauce reduces slightly, about 30 minutes.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in the cold water, and stir into the simmering sauce until thickened.
- Remove the bay leaf before serving.
Yummy sauce! Wanted to make a quick and easy dinner and this was it. Served this over hamburger patties. Can't wait to have this over steaks! Thanks for sharing, Lynn. Made for ZWT8 France.