Recipe by najwa
From www.jewish-foods.com .. My husband had this at a persian restuarant and loved it. He then searched on Google and found this, so I made it for him .. It's really good! Times are estimated.
Top Review by awalde
WOW! I tried many eggplat dips and I can really tell you that your is outstanding!
I loved the big amount of mint in this.
I had Turkish yogurt on hand and this was really a good choice for this recipe!
Thanks a lot for posting this!
- 2 (1 lb) large eggplants
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2⁄3 cup drained yogurt
- 4 teaspoons of fresh mint, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon powdered saffron, threads in (optional)
- 2 teaspoons hot water (optional)
- 1 teaspoon drained yogurt
- fresh mint leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse, prick the eggplants and roast in a 350F oven, turning frequently, for about 40 minutes, or until soft.
- Remove, place on a cutting board and let stand until cool enough to handle; peel the skin and chop the flesh.
- Transfer the flesh to a mixing bowl, add remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly, seasoning to taste.
- In the serving dish, garnish with saffron water, yogurt and mint leaves and serve hot or cold with pita.
- Can be made in advance and stored in refrigerator.