Scots Lass/Cairo's Note:
Persian Spinach and Yoghurt Salad. This recipe was given to me by a friend married to an Iranian. It is light and refreshing, and goes particularly well as an accompaniment to grilled chicken. Serve with Pita Bread
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb of fresh cleaned chopped spinach leaves or 8 ounces frozen spinach, defrosted and drained well
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped finely
- 8 fluid ounces greek natural yoghurt
- 1 finely chopped garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped toasted walnuts
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 teaspoon powdered dried mint
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- salt and black pepper
- 1Heat the olive oil and gently cook the onion and garlic in a covered pan over low heat until transparent.
- 2Add the chopped spinach leaves or the frozen spinach,and stir well. Cook for approximately 5 minutes.Should the spinach become too dry, you may wish to add a further dessertspoon of oil.
- 3Stir in the raisins and cook for another minute or two.
- 4Turn the spinach mixture into a mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly.
- 5Stir in the chopped walnuts.
- 6Add the Greek yoghurt and mix well.
- 7Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 8Spoon into a serving dish, sprinkle with the mint and serve chilled. Enjoy!
You Might Also Like...View All Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Borani Esfanej
Serving Size: 1 (136 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 128.9
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 7.8 mg
- Sodium 119.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 6.0 g