Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Recipe 4 in Chef Mullen's "tapas party for 8" party menu. Spanish tortilla's are more omelets served at room temp but far more delicious than that sounds. Caramelized onions are cooked slowly one recipe : Caramelized Onions). Cooking time does not include the caramelizing.
- 2 idaho potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced and slowly cooked in
- olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced and slowly caramelized
- 10 free-range eggs
- Mix the eggs and caramelized onions and blend with a hand-blender. Season with salt.
- In a 10-inch non-stick pan, heat up 2 tbsp olive oil until it skates easily across the pan. Add the slowly cooked potatoes and cook again, this time until lightly golden, stirring constantly.
- Add the egg mixture to cover the potatoes and reduce the heat. Using a rubber spatula, pull the edges of the egg away from the pan gently to allow the egg to cook evenly. When the egg has reached a nice golden brown color, place a plate on top of the pan and flip the Tortilla. Clean the pan with a paper towel and return to the stove.
- Increase the heat to medium high and slip the tortilla back into the pan. Cook for three minutes, or until the tortilla is golden brown, then reduce the heat and cook another 5 minutes until the center is just set. Slice into wedges and serve.
I made this for dinner tonight. The carmelized onions really makes the dish. Thanks for posting, Marra
Marra this is great. I used egg beaters instead of real eggs and scaled this to two servings. I topped mine with cheddar cheese, crumbled turkey bacon and salsa. GREAT breakfast.
Last nite I made a dinner meal I titled *Tag Nite in Iceland* . The fare included a mixed green salad w/a tagged dressing recipe, this recipe & 3 other tags (another potato dish + 2 chicken wing recipes). I do not mind admitting I thot this dish might be ordinary. After all, it had simple ingredients & a simple prep, but I tagged it anyway as I love nearly everything w/caramelised onions & DH reveres the Icelandic potato. I could not have been more wrong! I made 1 chg in the prep & did not blend the onions & eggs together as I like the added texture & burst of flavour from caramelised onions. I got the burst of flavour I was after & then some. This may be simple, but it is simply great & we loved it! Thx for sharing this keeper w/us. I suspect I will be making this often. Yum!