Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Perfect for cold fall evenings.
- 2 lbs cubed pork
- 2 lbs cubed beef
- 3 lbs short rib of beef
- 1 1⁄2 lbs oxtails
- 2 1⁄2 lbs soup bones, split
- 5 large onions
- 5 cups parsley sprigs
- 1⁄2 cup dried lima beans
- 1⁄2 cup dried split peas
- 1⁄4 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried savory, crushed
- 1 large red cabbage, chopped
- 3 cups diced carrots (1 lb.)
- 3 cups diced celery (1 lb.)
- 3 cups diced rutabagas
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- 3 (16 ounce) cans tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans green beans
- 1 (17 ounce) can peas
- 1 (17 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- Combine meats, bones, onion, parsley, split peas, lima beans and seasonings in a large kettle.
- Add water to cover; bring to boil and then reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer about 5 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat from bones and cube; discard bones.
- Skim fat from stock. Return meat to kettle and add cabbage, carrots, rutabaga and green pepper.
- Simmer covered for about 1 more hour.
- Add undrained canned vegetables; simmer 1/2 hour more.