Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
This is a hearty cold weather dish that will warm your bones and fill up your belly.
Make and share this Boot Kicking Cowboy Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lbs beef, chunk cubed
- 12 small onions, blanched and peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 dried chipolte pepper
- 10 1⁄2 ounces onion soup
- 3 (10 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke seasoning
- 1 lb potato (yukon gold, cut into 2-inch chunks)
- 6 carrots, peeled, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 3 stalks celery
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- In a large pot heat oil over medium high heat. In a sealable plastic bag mix together the flour, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add a small handful of meat at a time and shake until well coated. Brown meat in hot oil, in batches about 1 minute per side. Remove meat and reduce heat to medium and add onions. Brown onions, about 3 min total, then remove from pan and set aside. Drain excess fat from pan.
- Add browned meat, bay leaf, chipolte pepper, onion soup and beef broth to the pot. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Add liquid smoke, potatoes, carrots, browned onions, and celery; cook for 30 minute (If you want a thicker stew about 30 minutes before the stew is done stir the flour and water together until smooth- add to pot) Season finished stew with salt and pepper to taste.