Recipe by *Pixie*
Swirled chocolate brownies with a chocolate topping. Cooling time is included in prep time.
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 8 ounces cream cheese, chilled
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons flour
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped or 4 ounces nutella
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Lightly coat an 8" square pan with cooking spray.
- Melt the unsweetened chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler over hot but not boiling water.
- Cool chocolate mixture for 5 minutes.
- Mix the 1 1/4 c+ 1 tbsp sugar and the melted chocolate in a bowl until blended.
- Mix in the 1/2 tsp vanilla, and then beat in the 3 eggs one at a time until smooth.
- Add the 3/4 c flour and beat until well combined.
- Set chocolate mixture aside.
- Mix the cream cheese, 1 1/2 tsp flour, 5 tbsp sugar, egg and 1/4 tsp vanilla in a food processor (or with an electric mixer) until well blended.
- Spread 2/3 of the brownie batter in the pan.
- Cover with the cream cheese mixture.
- Scoop the rest of the brownie mixture over the top in nine evenly spaced equal sized mounds (with a bit of space between them).
- With the handle of a wooden spoon make parallel lines in the batter about 1 1/2" apart in one direction.
- Turn the pan and do the same thing in the other direction.
- Don't overmix, the effect should be marbled.
- Gently shake the pan to level the batter.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean or with moist crumbs.
- Sprinkle the finely chopped semisweet chocolate evenly over the hot brownies.
- Wait 5 minutes or so until chocolate has melted.
- Spread the melted chocolate evenly over the top of the brownies.
- OR spread nutella over warm brownies.
- Cool for at least one hour before cutting.