Pilfered this recipe from recipe gold mine. Can't wait to try it (well, the politically correct version at least. I doubt I could get my hands on some turtle meat anyway!)Here's their description "This is a traditional dish served at the famous Bookbinder's Restaurant in Philadelphia. It should be made with turtle meat, but you can substitute lean stewing beef. It will taste the same." P.S. I've had this at this restaurant many times in the restaurant's previous life (closed and re-opened again recently) and this is one of my two fav's from this restaurant. The recipe didn't say how many it served, so I guessed!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb turtle meat or 1 lb stewing beef, lean
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup celery, diced
- 1/3 cup onion, diced
- 1/3 cup carrot, diced
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 quart beef stock
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup cream sherry
- 1/4 teaspoon whole mixed pickling spice
- 1Place turtle or beef in stock pot with 1 1/2 quarts water. Bring to a boil. Skim during cooking. Simmer for 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2Strain meat from stock. Dice meat into 1/4 inch pieces. Set both aside.
- 3Cook vegetables in butter until onions are translucent. Add beef stock.
- 4In a small bowl, mix 1/4 cup water into paprika and flour until smooth. Add tomato purée and spices.
- 5Stir into beef stock until well blended. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- 6Strain soup.
- 7Place vegetables into food processor or blender and purée.
- 8Mix cornstarch with remaining water and blend until smooth. Add to soup and cook 15 minutes, stirring, until stock is thickened.
- 9Add meat and vegetable purée.
- 10Remove from direct heat. Add sherry right before serving.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bookbinder's Philadelphia Snapper Soup
Serving Size: 1 (200 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 169.4
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 43.6 mg
- Sodium 635.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 13.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole mixed pickling spices