Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I make this gooey unbelievable cake several times a month. My son-in-law, who I lovingly call "Booger" says it's " bangin' " ! I have had people ask me to make a whole cake just for them after they have tried a piece! Even the batter is delicious!!
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup quick oatmeal
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour 13x9 inch baking pan.
- CAKE: In a large bowl,pour boiling water over the oats and let stand for 15 minutes.
- *Do not drain water from oats.
- In the same bowl, blend in the butter and sugars with the oats.
- Add eggs and vanilla.
- Beat well.
- Add dry ingredients, mix until smooth.
- Pour into 13x9 baking pan.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center of cake.
- TOPPING: Mix topping while cake is in the oven.
- Combine melted butter, evaporated milk, brown sugar, vanilla and walnuts in a small bowl.
- Pour evenly over cake right when the cake comes out of the oven, while it is still hot!(that part is important!).
- Place under broiler in oven until topping is golden brown and bubbly.
- Serve warm or cold.
Deliciously easy, no mixer required. I added an apple to the 1/2 recipe and it was tasty, I would make it again with some additional cinnamon as Feej said. The caramelized top with nuts is really nice.
Update: I made this again & added 1 teaspoon cinnamon & 2 chopped apples. It was a big hit. ***We took this over to some friends house and all enjoyed it very much. I really like the addition of the oatmeal. Very nice. Very easy. I love that you can frost it right out of the oven. Thank you very much for sharing this lovely recipe.
Super recipe! So easy to make, my 15 yr old son who is a picky eater loved this! The only thing I changed is to add 2 mashed bananas to the mix, only because they needed to be used. They really made a nice addition to the cake. I took some to my co worker, she loved it so much she took it to their church dinner, and it got rave reviews again. This is definitely a winner recipe for a pot luck or family dinner. Thanks for sharing!