1 hr 10 mins
Ima Newbie's Note:
This started out as just a green tomato cake from way back when. Luckily, we have LOTS of green tomatoes hanging around just before Halloween. The kids are the ones who dubbed it "Boogers and Slugs"! Combination of the sorta wierd looking chunks of green tomato and the squishy texture of the baked golden raisins....voila' "Booger and Slugs!" It's an old fashiony kind of homemade spice cake. Easy to throw together too. Top it off with a little powdered sugar,(for that "mildewed" look?) or a yummy cream cheese frosting or caramel, and what's not to like?! Great conversation starter. The kids, and most adults, will get a good laugh out of it. Have fun, and use up those abundant green tomatoes hanging around in the garden!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup golden raisin
- 1/2 chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chopped green tomatoes, 1/4 inch chop
- 1Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Grease and flour 9x13" cake pan.
- 3Wash and dice your green tomatoes.
- 4Place them in a strainer and let them drain while you mix the other ingredients together.
- 5At least 10 to 15 minutes.
- 6Cream butter or margarine with the granulated sugar until light.
- 7Add eggs one at a time until throughtly mixed and fluffy.
- 8Mix all dry ingredients together.
- 9Then toss in the raisins and nuts to coat them.
- 10Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, then add the chopped tomatoes and mix well.
- 11Pour batter into the greased and floured baking pan.
- 12Bake at 350F for about 40 to 45 minutes.
- 13Check with a toothpick or spaghetti stick for doneness at 40 minutes.
- 14When stick comes out clean, remove from oven and allow to cool on a rack.
- 15The boogers will be visible.
- 16Frost with your favorite frosting.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Boogers and Slugs... Halloween Cake
Serving Size: 1 (71 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 163.5
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 27.7 mg
- Sodium 138.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 20.6 g
- Protein 2.1 g