Recipe by Ima Newbie
This started out as just a green tomato cake from way back when. Luckily, we have LOTS of green tomatoes hanging around just before Halloween. The kids are the ones who dubbed it "Boogers and Slugs"! Combination of the sorta wierd looking chunks of green tomato and the squishy texture of the baked golden raisins....voila' "Booger and Slugs!" It's an old fashiony kind of homemade spice cake. Easy to throw together too. Top it off with a little powdered sugar,(for that "mildewed" look?) or a yummy cream cheese frosting or caramel, and what's not to like?! Great conversation starter. The kids, and most adults, will get a good laugh out of it. Have fun, and use up those abundant green tomatoes hanging around in the garden!
Top Review by CookingDad
I made this for my kids as we decorated the house for haloween. I wasn't sure myself at first, however it was great. I used a cream cheese frosting and everyone loved it, including the neighbors. Thanks for posting.
- 118.29 ml butter or 118.29 ml margarine
- 473.18 ml white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 473.18 ml flour
- 177.44 ml golden raisin
- 1 chopped walnuts (optional)
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon, to taste
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 2.46 ml allspice
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 946.36 ml chopped green tomatoes, 1/4 inch chop
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour 9x13" cake pan.
- Wash and dice your green tomatoes.
- Place them in a strainer and let them drain while you mix the other ingredients together.
- At least 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cream butter or margarine with the granulated sugar until light.
- Add eggs one at a time until throughtly mixed and fluffy.
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Then toss in the raisins and nuts to coat them.
- Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, then add the chopped tomatoes and mix well.
- Pour batter into the greased and floured baking pan.
- Bake at 350F for about 40 to 45 minutes.
- Check with a toothpick or spaghetti stick for doneness at 40 minutes.
- When stick comes out clean, remove from oven and allow to cool on a rack.
- The boogers will be visible.
- Frost with your favorite frosting.