Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this recipe on the recipegoldmine website. It was submitted by GayleL, which she attributes the original source as Steven Brummer with Red Robin Restaurants. The Bonzai Burger is my favorite burger when we go to that restaurant. I have also broiled the beef patties with equal success, so you can still have your favorite burger even when rainy weather makes grilling impossible.
- 1⁄3 lb ground beef
- 2 cups teriyaki sauce (divided into 2 separate bowls)
- 1 pineapple ring
- 1 slice cheddar cheese
- 1 hamburger bun with sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 slices tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup shredded lettuce (I use Romaine leaves)
- Shape ground beef into a round burger patty. Marinate the burger patty in bowl #1 of teriyaki sauce for 30 minutes.
- Marinate pineapple ring in bowl # 2 of teriyaki sauce for 30 minutes.
- Remove burger patty and grill on high heat to desired doneness. Melt cheese on top of patty while still on grill pan by covering with lid.
- Grill pineapple ring on medium heat for 1 minute on each side.
- Spread mayo on both halves of the bun.
- On bottom bun, place tomato slices, followed by the broiled hamburger patty with cheese (tomato on the bottom!).
- On top of burger patty, stack the pineapple ring and shredded lettuce.
- Put the two together and you've got a signature Red Robin Bonzai Burger.
This burger is so good and tastes like the ones at Red Robin!! I used Teriyaki Sauce and Marinade for the sauce and made as written. It was juicy, drippy-messy just like the original! Will be making these again!! Made for PRMR.
Wow...yummy doesn't even cover it. This was so good! I love this burger from Red Robin but had never even thought of recreating it at home. I made as directed except I was out of tomato and forgot all about the lettuce :( It was still delicious though! It was definitely worth the drip-down-my-hands mess! Thanks for posting! Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders Tag.