Recipe by Bonnie Traynor
THIS is what I'm known for! When folks come to my house, they look forward to the salsa....: ) The secret is in the limes!!!
Top Review by Llarion
Oh.... my.. GAWD.... This is SALSA NIRVANA!!! I've never tasted anything like this in my life. I made it for a party, and people were practically tackling each other to get to it! I had to make another batch! Not super hot, but you could "kick it up a notch" with more jalapeno if you wanted, I suppose. VERY tart and citrus-laced. Lots of body, color, and visual appeal. Try it on burgers, chili, almost anything!!! Bonstr, whoever you are, BOTTLE THIS STUFF!!! You'll be rich.
- 5 medium plum tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 8 scallions, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pickled jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 4 limes, juice of
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, pressed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients in large bowl, (remove tomato sauce from can first) Refrigerate to allow flavors to marry for 1 hour.
- Alter salt, garlic, jalapenos and cayenne to taste.
- I tend to make it mild for all of the whimps I have to cook for, but I LOVE it spicy!!
- If available in your area, enjoy this salsa with Tostito Chile& Lime Tortilla chips!