Prep 7 mins
Cook 5 mins
this is a basic moroccan tea. i was inspired to figure out how to make this when it was served to me by a moroccan friend's mom. i found it so delicious that it spoiled me for plain japanese-style green tea. this tea came in very handy to soothe a recent sore throat.
- 4.92-9.85 ml loose green tea (i like jasmine scented)
- 9.85 ml honey
- 5 fresh spearmint
- 236.59 ml water
- heat water, any way you please
- put some tea leaves on a filter in a mug, teacup, or glass (the latter if you want to be truly moroccan)
- place the spearmint leaves in the cup under the filter (or over if you don't like leaves floating in your tea-- i like it because it adds texture).
- let the water come to a boil, then set it aside for half a minute so it can cool slightly pour the water over the filter and let it stand for 3-5 minutes.
- lift out the filter and press the leaves with a spoon to squeeze out their juices add as much honey as you like.
- don't be shy-- honey is a healthy, wholesome sweetener. drink it up (it should already be cool enough by now).
This is a nice tea. Not my favorite but it might be yours. Green tea goes so well with fresh mint. I steep mine 3 minutes as I like a slightly lighter tea flavour/caffeine and I still find it a little strong. I use an organic green tea bag which says steep 1-3 minutes so I shall try 2 next time> I used creamed honey (I love that this recipe uses honey instead of white sugar!) I'm not sure I used spearmint leaves as they were from a grocer and just said mint on the package. (They were slightly rounded), plus I use spring water. I boil my water and wait a minute before pouring it on the green tea bags. I would like to try this again with the longer mint leaves we get in the garden during summer/autumn, I think they are more likely spearmint. Plus less steeping time than called for here. I will then update my review insha Allah (God willing). BTW I agree to not be shy of honey it is good for us!
Now this is TRUE mint tea! Instead of green tea I used spearmint which gave it that extra minty flavor. I actually preferred it before I added the honey, however that is my taste preference. I will be drinking this often! This recipe was tagged in the Comfort Cafe's tag game.