Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
The key to this recipe is to make sure you follow the directions precisely. Make sure all the wine and milk are both *nearly* evaporated before moving on to the next step. The sauce can get a bit thick, so add water as you like for consisitency. The longer this sauce cooks, the better it tastes. It's great for Lasagna!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can Italian-style tomatoes
- 1 large carrot
- 1 cup water, as needed
- Melt butter and oil in a large Dutch oven. Saute onion and garlic over medium heat until just translucent.
- Add ground beef and cook til no longer pink. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Add wine, and turn up the heat, cooking/stirring until almost all the wine has evaportated. This will take about 20 minutes.
- Turn heat back down to medium, and add the milk and nutmeg. Cook, stirring frequently, until all the milk is gone.
- Add oregano, garlic and tomatoes, undrained.
- Add the whole carrot to the sauce (this helps absorb the acidity of the tomatoes).
- When the tomato sauce has started to boil, turn down to low and cook the sauce at a lazy simmer, adding water as needed, for about 5 hours.