Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
When I was little, I had an "Aunt" that used to visit, and would always make an incredible banana bread. It was my job to lick the bowl :). I was much to young to ever think about asking for the recipe. So now, many, many years later, I'm still looking for that illusive recipe.....until now. I think I found it this morning. I can only tell you that after licking the bowl......I felt like a little girl again. This bread is so very light and flavourful. Not surprising really.....it's from Bonnie Stern. I don't think I've ever been disappointed in any recipe of hers. Hope you enjoy this as much as I am.....right now.
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- In a small bowl combine bananas with buttermilk and baking soda.
- In a medium sized bowl beat butter with brown sugar until light. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- In yet another bowl combine flour with baking powder and salt.
- Add flour to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk/bananas beginning and ending with flour.
- Transfer to a 6 cup/1.5L loaf pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes.
This is a great banana bread. We loved it. It was moist, tender and very flavorful. I love the addition of the buttermilk and brown sugar. I will make this again and again. A beautiful crust and crumb. Thanks for sharing.
Delicious!!! This is the BEST Banana Bread Recipe that I have ever come across! I would not change a thing about the recipe. My family and friends have loved it also...Thanks for posting this recipe!!!
I went with the cup of oatmeal and applesauce method. The flavor was a bit bland. Raisins would have been a nice touch. I made it in a brownie pan and after cutting I dabbed each side in a touch of brown sugar and they were very pleasant. Thanks for posting!