Recipe by drhousespcatcher
One of the winners from the local cake contest. Bonnie's lst place winner at the Community Festival "I chose to make this cake because it looks like fun. Even if I don't win anything I will be proud of the job I did"
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 (20 ounce) canminus 1/4 cup cherry pie filling (reserve 1/4 cup for icing)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shortening
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons clear vanilla
- 1 (3 ounce) package cherry gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup cherry pie filling
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease and flour the bottom of the pan.
- Combine flour, salt and baking powder.
- Beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition; stir in vanilla.
- Alternately stir flour mix and milk into butter mixture. Mix until smooth batter forms. Pour batter into pans and bake for 30 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- After cool, run knife around the side of the pan. Turn one cake out on serving tray. Spread pie filling over cake. Place second cake on top and ice all over with cherry icing.
- Icing Directions: Run 1/4 cup cherry pie filling in food processor for 1 to 2 seconds. Dissolve gelatin in 1/4 cup hot water. Mix all ingredients until light and fluffy.