Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This was in a magazine I get from my utility company about "down home" foods and I thought it looked really good!
- 2⁄3 cup soft butter
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 egg whites
- 8 large marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (8 ounce) can flaked coconut
- Cake Directions:.
- Preheat oven to 350~F.
- Beat butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla for 5 mins at high speed in an electric mixer.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Add in four additions alternately with milk. Start and end with dry ingredients.
- Blend on low speed until smooth.
- Bake 30 to 35 mins in two 9-inch layer pans (greased and floured at 350 degrees.
- Icing Directions:.
- Combine sugar, water and cream of tartar in saucepan.
- Boil rapidly unt syrup spins a 6- to 8-inch thread. While syrup cooks, beat egg whites stiff.
- As soon as syrup threads, stir in marshmallows until dissolved.
- Pour syrup over egg whites.
- Add vanilla and blend well.