Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is the exact recipe from the cookbook "Betty Crocker Country Favorites." Bonnie Butter Cake has been around for many years, a testament to the delicious flavor and delicate texture of this cake. Treat yourself and use real butter for a rich, old-fashioned taste! The cook time listed is for the 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan.
FOR THE CAKE
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 2⁄3 cup butter, softened (or margarine, if you have to!)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups cake flour (or you can use 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
FOR THE FUDGE FROSTING
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom and sides of rectangular pan, 13 x 9 x 2 inches, or 2 round pans, 9 x 1 1/2 inches; lightly flour.
- Beat sugar, butter/margarine, vanilla and eggs in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed 5 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in flour, baking powder and salt alternatively with milk on low speed. Pour into pan(s).
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes if using the rectangular pan, 30 to 35 minutes if using the round pans, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool rectangular pan on wire rack. Cool round pans 10 minutes; remove to wire rack. Cool completely.
- TO MAKE THE FROSTING: Mix all ingredients except vanilla in 2 1/2 quart saucepan. Heat to rapid boil, stirring occasionally. Boil 1 minute without stirring. Place saucepan in bowl of ice and water. Beat until frosting is smooth and of spreading consistency. Stir in vanilla.