Recipe by TxGriffLover
Bonnell's is a fantastic restaurant in Fort Worth, TX. They generously share their recipes, and here is one of their signature Tex-Mex dishes. Recipe provided courtesy of Chef Jon Bonnell. At the restaurant, this very popular side dish is served in a fried tortilla 'bowl'. Bonnell’s Fine Texas Cuisine 4259 Bryant Irvin Blvd. Fort Worth, Texas 76109 www.bonnellsrestaurant.com 5-8-09 edited to add: If you have a stove-top smoker, be sure and smoke your poblano pepper, it will give another smoky layer to this already delicious dish.
Top Review by Slatts
These are amazing. Followed the recipe as stated expect that I subsituted Hatch green chilies for the poblanos. Really creamy and full of flavor. The portion was way to big for me but my husband had no problem finishing his! Thanks for another great way to enjoy grits! Made for PRMR.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 roasted poblano chile (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking grits
- 2 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces grated monterey jack cheese
- salt and pepper
- creole seasoning
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté the chilies, onions, and garlic in butter until soft.
- Add cream and chicken stock and bring to simmer (the stage just before a rolling boil). Be careful not to let the liquids boil over.
- Quickly whisk in seasonings and grits. Stir constantly until grits begin to thicken.
- Gently fold in cheeses and let sit for at least 5 minutes.