Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is from Trader Vic's restaurants. I first had this back in the 70's. Don't leave out the A-1 (it makes a difference) and don't sweeten the whipped cream :)
- 1 (8 ounce) jar oysters, raw (small)
- 1⁄2 lb Baby Spinach, chopped
- 1 quart milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon A.1. Original Sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce (to taste)
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream, whipped
- Preheat broiler unit of oven.
- Puree oysters and their juice, and spinach in a blender.
- Heat milk in a large saucepan and add puree, butter and A-1 sauce.
- Bring to simmering point. DO NOT BOIL!
- Mix cornstarch with water and add to soup to thicken.
- Season with salt, pepper, worcestershire and tabasco.
- Ladle into 4 oven-proof bowls and garnish each with whipped cream.
- Put bowls under broiler until cream is browned.
I really enjoyed this tasty soup.
What a lovely and easy to put together soup. I'm surprised this recipe has not been reviewed mored often. I followed instructions as listed using a copycat A1 steak sauce (A1 Steak Sauce ( Clone - Copycat - Homemade Substitute )) with very tasty results. Thanks for sharing your lovely recipe Mikekey.