Recipe by Peter Wendt
I had frozen chicken and crashed the pantry to see what I had on hand..... We make Mexican and Asian food all the time, so I had ingredients on hand I've done this and variations of this cubed wrapped in foil on the grill, marinated overnight in fridge, cubed in a wok for all told, about 10 times. every variation turns out great..using the black bean garlic with chicken for us you cannot go wrong... My Kids like spicy... I made this recipe for you' all with the "spicy" being optional. The taste of this dish reminds me of being at a Asian restaurant, with Mexican guitar music playing.... really!!!! it does sound bad I guess....It's worth the time believe me. You should see our pantry.... all kinds of sounds emit from it.... all trying to get into a dish of mine. Watch your second part bake time.. If you are looking for a "set it and forget it" 30min meal look for other venues at recipzaar.. If you are willing to test drive this baby your family or friends will be singing your praises. That's what makes the effort pay off.. happy cooking!!! PW
- 1 (6 lb) bagfrozen boneless chicken thighs (sam's club)
- 1 (13 ounce) jarlee kum kee black bean garlic sauce
- 1 bottle michelob tm ultra beer (low carbs)
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 (10 ounce) canro-tel diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon red chili paste (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- preheat oven 295 adjust rack to center slot for first hour bake time 375 for last 30-45 min excluding chicken & diced tomatoes combine and blend 1/2 of jar black bean-1/4 to 1/2 beer, onion and honey, large blender or straight sided bowl for emersion blending blend until puréed.
- You may have to add additional beer as you purée.
- Pour blended mixture into bowl add other half of Black bean sauce stir In two 9 x 13 x 1&1/2 place all frozen chicken thighs, one layer, they should not be touching each other.
- pour 3/4 blended mixture over frozen chicken.
- flip chicken over to coat both sides.
- pour remainder mixture over chicken.
- Place uncovered in preheated 295 oven center rack for one hour.
- note make sure you have room for hot air to circulate around both pans in oven.
- Place carefully so air circulates and chicken pieces are not touching each other.
- after one hour remove from oven increase oven temp to 375 flip over chicken spooning liquid mixture over chicken depending on moisture content (you may have alot of liquid or not much) baste upon remaining liquid either pour diced tomatoes directly from can directly on chicken or strain can first to remove water.
- save this liquid (if any) to be added to sauce later diced tomatoes are to give color to top of chicken and adding the moisture is optional if needed, use your judgment return to 375 oven bake additional 30-45 min you will need to stand guard around the oven the first time you do this recipe.
- each oven and chicken piece sizes will effect moisture and doneness.
- add required baking minutes and liquid to the doneness you like.
- IF you have a Meat thermometer use recommended internal chicken temp.
- You will see that the chicken will get a tan glazed look from black bean contrasted with the red tomatoes.
- Remove from oven when done place hot liquid from oven pans in clear bowl emersion blend let sauce mixture let stand cool slightly remove any liquid fat serve chicken over angel hair pasta, or rice or by itself.
- Use sauce at table if you like or pour part over chicken on serving platter serves 7-9 people I have teenagers their portion size varies.
- this is great to take to gatherings when I do this I put a layer of cooked rice then chicken and then pour over portion of sauce.