Recipe by l.bocola
I made this variation from a receive that I got on this website - and loved it so much I thought I'd share :-). Pretty quick on setup and uses most ingredients that you have at home
- 3 -3 1⁄2 lbs boneless short ribs
- 6 potatoes
- 12 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons onion powder, to taste or 1⁄2 fresh diced onion
- 12 ounces beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle dark beer
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- flour, to thicken sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- In a big bowl, mix together flour, salt, pepper and onion powder (if you use a fresh onion put it in with the liquid instead).
- Dredge the ribs in the mixture and then assemble in an aluminum foil pan with a bit of oil. Broil in the oven until they are browned.
- While you're browning - mix together all the other ingredients (fresh onion if applicable) using a wire whisk.
- Peel and cube potatoes and arrange them in the bottom of the crock pot - season with salt.
- When meat is browned, place on top of the potatoes and pour the liquid mixture over it.
- Cook for 6 hours on high - or longer on low.
- During the last 2 hours or so, mix it up.
- During the last hour - mix it again and put in the mushrooms.
- When the crock is done cooking - remove meat; remove potatoes. Use Flour - 1 tbsp at a time to make the gravy smooth and thick - depending on how much liquid you have you'll need to keep adding the flour until smooth (I use a wire whisk and do this directly in the crock pot).
- Serve the potatoes and meat in separate plates with the gravy on the side.
- As an aside, the gravy is really delicious so you could omit the potatoes from the crock pot and do mashed potatoes instead.
- I do NOT use carrots because their taste contaminates everything in the crock pot and makes everything taste like carrots.
- I do NOT use a fresh onion because the flavour is sometimes too overpowering.