Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
My Mom found this recipe in a Benson and Hedges cookbook, around 20 years ago. It's a little work but, believe me, it's worth it. I always requested her to make this dish on my birthday.
- 6 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in half
- 1⁄3 cup flour, plus
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup clarified butter
- 12 slices prosciutto ham, thin
- 6 ounces monterey jack cheese, in 6 slices each also cut in half
- 1⁄4 cup chopped shallot
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- salt and pepper
- Dip chicken in flour; brown in butter.
- Arrange in a butter 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- Top each with 1 slice prosciutto ham and 1/2 slice cheese.
- Cook shallots and garlic until soft; add mushrooms, wine, broth and herbs.
- Bring to a boil and cook 10 minutes.
- Stir into hot mixture 1 T flour and a small amount of sherry.
- Stir in remaining sherry and cream; season with salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over chicken.
- Bake in a 375° oven for 20 minutes.
FANTASTIC RECIPE. Use this recipe as a company dinner when you want to wow your guests. I followed recipe exactly using half & half for the cream, and baby portobella mushrooms. I did not clarify the butter...was in a hurry. Because my chicken was rather thick, I baked it in a covered casserole for 20 mins., removed the foil, and baked an additional 10 mins. Perfect!!!I think this recipe would be excellent using deli sliced ham instead of the expensive (and salty) prosciutto. Thanks Judy for sharing this wonderful dinner recipe.
We had this last night for dinner. It is a five star recipe. It took a little work but very much worth the effort. I made this for two but cut the sauce ingredients in half. Wonderful. Please try this wonderful recipe. I served it with a spinach salad.
WOW!!! This is a great recipe. We've been making it for 20 years. It's a great recipe to make for a party. Cut the chicken halves in half. You can even get everything ready the day before. Bake it the day of the party and put in chafing dishes. Most people really enjoy it. YUMMY!