My Mom found this recipe in a Benson and Hedges cookbook, around 20 years ago. It's a little work but, believe me, it's worth it. I always requested her to make this dish on my birthday.
- 6 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in half
- 1⁄3 cup flour, plus
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup clarified butter
- 12 slices prosciutto ham, thin
- 6 ounces monterey jack cheese, in 6 slices each also cut in half
- 1⁄4 cup chopped shallot
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced (about 3 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- salt and pepper
- Dip chicken in flour; brown in butter.
- Arrange in a butter 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- Top each with 1 slice prosciutto ham and 1/2 slice cheese.
- Cook shallots and garlic until soft; add mushrooms, wine, broth and herbs.
- Bring to a boil and cook 10 minutes.
- Stir into hot mixture 1 T flour and a small amount of sherry.
- Stir in remaining sherry and cream; season with salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over chicken.
- Bake in a 375° oven for 20 minutes.