Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
- 2 lbs round steaks
- salt and pepper
- 1 onion, cut in 8 wedges
- 4 small carrots
- 8 slices bacon
- butter (for browning)
- Pound meat to about ¼ inch thick, and cut into 8 pieces.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place a wedge of onion, a slice of bacon, and ½ of a carrot on each piece.
- Roll up and fasten with toothpicks or string.
- Roll each in flour.
- In a large frying pan melt butter, and brown rolled meat.
- Add ½ cup water to browned meat and simmer for about 1½ hours, adding more water as needed.
- Remove from pan and use the remaining water for a gravy by adding a bit of flour to the water and stirring over low heat until smooth.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.