7 hrs 30 mins
Pork is one of my husband's favorite dishes, and he absolutely loves this one. A great choice for a Sunday dinner. A delicious recipe from Tyler Florence, courtesy of Food Network. 6 hours of preparation time is for brining the pork.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 lbs center-cut bone-in pork roast
- 1 gallon water
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorn
- 1 bunch fresh thyme, divided
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- olive oil
- 4 carrots
- 1 head garlic, split
- 1 medium onion, halved
- 2 shallots, halved
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1Have butcher cut the chine bone in between each rib of the pork roast to make carving easier.
- 2Leave the fat cap on for added moisture and flavor.
- 3Line a large stockpot or bucket with a plastic bag (I use a paint bucket I purchased from a paint store specifically for brining).
- 4Pour water in and dissolve the salt and brown sugar.
- 5Add peppercorns and a few thyme sprigs.
- 6Place the pork roast in the brine and if using a bag, tie the bag closed so the pork is submerged.
- 7Refrigerate (I surround with ice) for 6 hours.
- 8Remove pork from the brine and dry thoroughly with paper towels.
- 9Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 10Lay thyme sprigs all over the roast, season with salt and pepper, then secure with butcher's twine to help hold the shape.
- 11Coat a roasting pan with olive oil and set on 2 burners over high heat until almost smoking.
- 12Sear the pork, fat side down, until caramelized.
- 13Turn the roast to brown all sides, about 10 minutes.
- 14To flavor the pork drippings, scatter carrots, garlic, onion, shallots and more thyme sprigs in the pan, and then transfer the roast to the oven.
- 15Roast until a meat thermometer, inserted in the thickest part of the roast registers 150°F-- about 1 hour.
- 16Remove the pork to a cutting board to rest while preparing the pan sauce.
- 17Discard the aromatic vegetables and set the pan on 2 burners over high heat.
- 18Deglaze the pan with apple juice, scraping up the yummy bits off the bottom.
- 19Reduce by a third, season with salt& pepper, and whisk in the butter to smooth out.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bone-in Pork Roast
Serving Size: 1 (1060 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 994.1
- Calories from Fat 451
- Total Fat 50.1 g
- Saturated Fat 17.8 g
- Cholesterol 258.3 mg
- Sodium 19163.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 47.0 g
- Protein 77.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: