Recipe by LilKiwiChicken
I threw this together tonight using ingredients we had in the house. This is good served with a Belgian beer (like Leffe) to cut through the richness of the sauce. Serve with baby new potatoes and steamed fresh greens. (Please note, the photos make the sauce look a bit green, the sauce isn't actually green it's the really bad lighting in our living room!) Note, you can also 1 - 2T of your favourite cajun spice for depth of flavour.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 0.44 lb smoked bacon, diced
- 0.44 lb brown button mushrooms, sliced thickly
- 1.65 lb chicken thighs, bone in
- 2⁄3 cup double cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat a stove-top to oven pan (eg Le Creuset) on medium heat. Add 1T of the olive oil.
- Saute the onions & garlic until translucent & just beginning to brown. Remove from the pan.
- Add the remaining 1T of olive oil, and fry the bacon until light brown and starting to crisp.
- Put the onions & garlic back into the pan, and add the mushrooms. Saute for 1 minute.
- Mix through the thyme.
- Place the chicken in the pan and pour over the cream. Bake in the oven for 80 minutes, turning twice.
- Grind over black pepper to taste & serve.