Prep 25 mins
Cook 8 mins
This is a great soup! Don't let the ingredients scare ya! Most things you probably have on-hand. With the ease of the Microwave, you won't be tied to the kitchen. I have subbed finely chopped ham rather than the bone, but the bones lend the soup something that only a ham bone can. This freezes very well. I like to put the soup over rice.
- 1 (16 ounce) packagegreat dry northern white beans (16oz.)
- 1 ham bone, with a little meat on it
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) canwhole kernel white corn, undrained
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika (smoked is good)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper (to taste)
- 3 bay leaves
- at this point you may need additional water (optional) or stock, to cover slightly (optional)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 carrots, small dice
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, quartered
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, pureed
- sliced green onion, to taste
- Soak the beans in cold water to cover. Overnight is best.
- Remove meat from the ham bone, cut it into 1/2" cubes (about 3 cups), and reserve. Drain beans and place in the crockpot along with the meat from the bone. Add corn,chicken, chicken stock, oregano,paprika,.
- chili powder,black pepper, bay leaves, if using, and additional water or stock if needed, to slightly cover.Place the lid on the crockpot and cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.
- Add the remainion ingredients except reserved ham cubes and green onions, mix well.
- Shift cooker to LOW setting, and cook for about 5 additional hours.
- For more "zing", add cayenne or crushed red pepper flakes when adding second set of ingredients.
- About 30 to 40 minutes before the end of the cooking time, remove bay leaves; mash some of the beans against the side of the liner to thicken the soup slightly; add the reserved ham cubes and sliced green onions.
- Taste, and adjust seasoning, if necessary.