Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Bone Recipe from Patricia O'Brien
- 1 ounce yeast
- 1⁄4 cup water, warm
- 1 pinch sugar
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups cornmeal (or bulghur)
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 4 teaspoons kelp powder (optional)
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups beef broth
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Sprinkle yeast over water and add sugar - allow to sit for 10-20 minutes.
- In a large bowl place all the dry ingredients and stir well.
- Add yeast mixture and 3 cups of broth.
- Mix with hands and add more broth if needed to make mixture smooth and supple.
- Knead the dough briefly on a floured work surface.
- Divide in half, and keep one batch under a moist kitchen towel while shaping the other half.
- Cut dog bones with cookie cutter and glaze with egg and milk mixture.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes or until brown and firm.