Recipe by Vicki in CT
Once you've made this homemade sauce, you'll never buy bottled again. I had to guess on the serving size. (Note - if making vegetarian, use an anchovy-free Worcestershire sauce).
Top Review by Tisme
I also cut the recipe in half, and found out I should not have!!!! I made my sauce in a processor and it turned our fantastic. Everone in the family loved it, & what wonderful flavours Vicki! I will be making this again, I would love to be able to bottle this and keep it on hand it is so wondefuly good! Will be making again. Thank You Vicki.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup black pepper
- cayenne pepper, to your taste
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 48 ounces ketchup
- 48 ounces water
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté onion and garlic in butter until limp.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer on low heat for 2 hours uncovered while stirring occasionally.
- After reading a review, I made this today by chopping my onion in the food processor quite fine before sautéing. Wonderful, and less chunky. 10-21-07.