1/2 Photos of Bon Appetit's Mulligatawny Soup ( Chicken )
Betty E. Kohler's Note:
This Classic Anglo-Indian soup, the name of which means "pepper water," should be richly endowed with meat and piquantly spiced. Taste the soup as it cooks, adding lemon juice, cayenne pepper and curry powder as necessary.
My Private Note
10 oz. ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seed, ground
- 6 whole cloves, finely crushed
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger, ground
- cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 (4 -4 1/4 lb) roasting chickens, cut into serving pieces
- chicken giblets, coarsely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, with leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 leek, thinly sliced (white part only)
- 11 cups chicken stock, defatted (preferably homemade, 2 quarts plus 3 cups)
- salt & pepper, freshly ground
- 2/3 cup long grain rice
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored and diced (tart)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (or to taste)
- 2/3 cup whipping cream, warmed
- chopped fresh parsley, to garnish
- lightly toasted sliced almonds, to garnish
- 1Combine garlic and spices.
- 2Melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until lightly browned on all sides.
- 3Add giblets and saute until cooked through.
- 4Transfer chicken and giblets to stockpot. Drain all but 1 tablespoon fat from skillet. Add celery, onion, carrot, leek and spice mixture and blend well.
- 5Add a small ladle of stock and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until vegetables are tender.
- 6Add to chicken.
- 7Stir in remaining stock and season with salt and pepper.
- 8Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- 9Remove chicken with slotted spoon and set aside. Add rice to soup and continue cooking 15 minutes.
- 10When chicken is cool enough to handle, cut meat into bite-size pieces, discarding skin and bones.
- 11Return chicken to soup and blend in apples and yogurt. Simmer 10 minutes.
- 12Degrease soup if necessary.
- 13Stir in lemon juice, then blend in cream.
- 14Taste and adjust seasoning.
- 15Pour into heated tureen and sprinkle with parsley and almonds.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bon Appetit's Mulligatawny Soup ( Chicken )
Serving Size: 1 (5536 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 462.0
- Calories from Fat 252
- Total Fat 28.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 108.8 mg
- Sodium 417.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 24.8 g