Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Recipe source: local newspaper
Make and share this Bombay Sweet Potatoes recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 onion, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- Peel potatoes and cut into 2-inch pieces. Place in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, cooking until softened (10-15 minutes) Drain.
- In a wok or skillet heat oil over medium high heat. Stir in mustard seeds and bay leaf. When seeds start jumping add ginger and onion. Reduce heat to medium low and add next 5 ingredients (turmeric - salt) and the potatoes. Cook stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomatoes and a little water if needed and cook a few minutes more or until potatoes are tender.
- Top with cilantro.
Made half a recipe with one change having to do with the potatoes ~ I didn't peel them! I sliced them & then steamed them just to the point where they were almost tender, then kept to the recipe from there, & thoroughly enjoyed this SP side dish! I'm the big fan of sweet potatoes around here & love finding new ways to prepare them, & that makes your recipe a great keeper for me! Thanks for sharing it! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]