Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
These can be eaten not just with Indian food but can be served hot or cold with salad, buffets etc. They also freeze well. Not all the spices are essential, but the more the better
- 4 lbs red potatoes
- 2 large onions, roughly chopped
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 4 dried red chilies
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- Boil the potatoes in their skins until cooked.
- When cool, peel and chop into cubes (approx 1").
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add mustard seeds and dried chillies and cook till the seeds start to pop.
- Lower the heat, add the onion and green chillies and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and mix well.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients and stir fry for 10 minutes Better to remove red chillies as they surface.
I liked this! I added a few bay leaves to make it more tangy, and If I make it again I think I'd use less oil, it was a bit too greasy.But lovely full flavour and made the kitchen smell wonderful whilst cooking! cheers!