Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Potatoes are one of my favourite vegetables. This dish is deliciously spicy.
- 1 lb whole new potato, scrubbed
- salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 whole dried chilies
- 6 -8 curry leaves, fresh
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 2 ounces fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nigella seeds (kalonji)
- Place the ingredients for the spice mix in a little bowl and set aside.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling water, to which has been added a pinch of salt and 1/2 teaspoon turmeric. When tender, drain the potatoes and mash coarsely. Set aside.
- In a heavy based skillet, heat the oil and saute the curry leaves and dried red chillies until the chillies have darkened in color.
- Add the onions, chopped green chillies, cilantro leaves, remaining 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, the asafoetida and the spice mix, and cook until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Fold in the potatoes and a little water to just moisten.
- Mix well to ensure even distribution of spices, and cook over low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, but taking care not to mash the potatoes further.
- Add some lemon juice to taste and serve immediately.