Recipe by Fluffy
A can of beans, a can of tomatoes, some Indian-style seasoning, serve over rice, and you've got yourself a quick and healthy vegetarian meal. Use the higher amount of spices if you like your food a bit spicier. Adapted from The Vegetarian Gourmet's Easy Low-Fat Favorites.
Top Review by Carianne
This is the perfect weeknite meal for me! I used high measurements of spices and served over couscous. Only 2 WW points per serving (not including couscous, which adds 4 points for 1/3 dry cup). Yummy, quick, healthy, and it doesn't blow my diet. Thank you so much--I'll be having this often!
- 1 (1 lb) can kidney bean, rinsed and drained (or use 2 cups cooked beans)
- 1 (1 lb) can tomatoes, chopped, undrained
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 -2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (or more, to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine beans, tomatoes, honey and seasonings in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together cornstarch and water so that cornstarch dissolves.
- Add to saucepan.
- Cook 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until slighly thickened.
- Serve over rice.