Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe is an adaptation of a recipe found on "Ray's Freeware Seafood" web site.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup light coconut milk
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil or 4 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 6 cups hot cooked rice
- 3 tablespoons sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- Combine shrimp and flour in a bowl; toss well, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add shallots and curry powder, saute 1 minute.
- Add bell pepper; saute 1 minute.
- Add next 6 ingredients (tomato through broth); bring to a simmer, and cook 2 minutes.
- Add shrimp mixture; simmer 4 minutes or until shrimp are done; stirring occasionally.
- Spoon shrimp mixture over rice and sprinkle with coconut.
Good for an impromptu curry (esp when lacking some more complex ingredients like lemongrass and ginger) but the shrimp and the coconut did not come through as much as I would have liked.