1/1 Photo of Bombay Chicken with Red Split Lentils
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Pete Lobert's Note:
This is so fabulous. Oh my gosh it is delicious and actually not that hard to make. You can find turmeric and garam marsala at any Indian Food store and most Asian food stores. It has a super spicy (not hot but strong flavor) Indian flavor and can be hot depending on how much ground red pepper you put in.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups red lentils
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1/2-1 hot green chili, finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon finely sliced ginger (or more to taste)
- 6 cups water
- 4 -6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 2 -4 cloves garlic
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1Combine the lentils, onion, green chili, ground cumin, turmeric, half of the chopped ginger and 6 cups water in a big heavy pot.
- 2Simmer and cover leaving lid slightly ajar for 45 minutes.
- 3Next add chicken (cut into small pieces) and salt.
- 4Bring mixture to a boil and then simmer for another 30 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- 5Next get a small pan out and put the tablespoon of oil in it.
- 6When hot, put in the whole cumin seeds.
- 7As soon as the seeds begin to sizzle (this just takes a few seconds) put in the remaining ginger and garlic.
- 8Saute until garlic is slightly brown.
- 9Now put in the red pepper and lift the pan up immediately and dump everything into the pot with chicken and lentils.
- 10Finally, add the lemon juice, sugar, and garam marsala.
- 11Stir to mix and cook for another 5 minutes or so.
- 12You can top each serving with fresh cilantro if desired.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bombay Chicken with Red Split Lentils
Serving Size: 1 (391 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 395.9
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 68.4 mg
- Sodium 1400.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 43.0 g