Recipe by dicentra
From Real Simple. DH will love this! Serve over ziti or rigatoni. Spaghetti is to thin to catch all the thick sauce.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 carrot, finely chopped (3/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs combination ground beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground pork
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 6 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, combine the onion, celery, carrot, and olive oil and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the meat and cook, stirring frequently, until it loses its pink color. Add the milk. Increase heat to high and cook until the milk has evaporated.
- Transfer the mixture to a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. Return the skillet to the heat and add the tomato paste; cook over low heat to reduce its bitterness, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste to the cooker, along with the tomatoes, salt, and nutmeg. Cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4 hours.