Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
Does anyone ever wonder where the 'Meat Sauce' from 'Spaghetti and Meat Sauce' came from? Chances are it originated in Bologna, the area in Italy most famous for its meat sauce. This version is delicious.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces pancetta, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 4 medium celery ribs, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 6 ounces ground pork
- 6 ounces ground beef
- 6 ounces prosciutto, finely chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup canned tomato puree
- 6 ounces chicken livers, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Add the pancetta, carrots, celery and onion and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 6-7 minutes.
- Add the pork, ground beef and prosciutto and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and tomato puree to the saucepan and simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken livers and simmer until thickened, about 8 minutes.
- Pour in the heavy cream and simmer the sauce until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Season to taste.
This is very good! it's different to my own recipe, but still has lots of flavors, I did add in about 3 teaspoons dried chili flakes, and I pretty much made as stated, I even added in the chicken livers, an ingredient I have never added to my bolognese sauce in the past, and increased the crushed tomatoes to 1-1/2 cups. I let mine simmer for about 1-1/2 hours. Darn good bolognese sauce Evelyn!...Kitten:)