Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Excellent, thick, rich meat sauce. Spaghetti is too thin to stand up to this sauce so I recommend ziti, penne, rigatoni, or radiatore.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 carrot, finely chopped (3/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 lb ground beef, combined with
- 3⁄4 lb ground pork (or meat-loaf mix)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 6 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a large skillet, combine the onion, celery, carrot and olive oil and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently,, until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the meat and cook, stirring frequently, until it loses its pink color.
- Add the milk.
- Increase heat to high and cook until the milk has evaporated.
- Transfer the mixture to a 4 to 6 quart slow cooker.
- Return the skillet to the heat and add the tomato paste, cook over low heat to reduce its bitterness, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste to the cooker along with the tomatoes, salt and nutmeg.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.